Tuesday 10 January 2012

Modeling a cow - Completed cowhead

Upon redoing the cow's head, I was definitely more careful with extrusion. I followed the tutorials provided closely. My cow's head was a little different, due to the proportion. However, this is fine, as it makes my cow look more cartoony and unique.

In this exercise, I've learnt several functions in maya. I have learnt to use vertex mode to adjust the vertexes to create a more rounded look. Another important feature I have learnt in the cow head exercise is to sculpt and shape one side of the head, and then use mirror geometry to create the other side, such that it is symmetrical. I find this extremely useful, if not I would have to try to make both sides the same, which would be near impossible and very tedious. However, I encountered a problem after mirroring as my vertexes in the nose's middle were not correctly adjusted and were affected after sculpting. Hence, after mirroring, there was a gap between the noses. I solved the issue by moving the vertexes towards the middle and then merging them together.

Another thing my tutor has taught us is to save multiple versions of our project such that we can go back to a previous version if any errors occur.

This is the final look of my cow's head.


Overall, I am quite satisfied with my work. I redid it quite a few times as I encountered several problems with the eyes. If I were to redo it again, I will probably make the ears larger as they appear to be very small after smoothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment