Thursday 16 February 2012

Project - Walk Cycle


This is the reference I used for my walk cycle. 

Following the reference picture, these are my key poses:

Contact:

Recoil:

Passing

High-point:

Process:

Using the side view, I created 240 frames of walking by repeating the above key poses. To make it more realistic, I used a period of 5 frames for the lifting up of leg, which is realistically slower as compared to the downward movement of the leg, where I used a period of 4 frames instead. I also translated the hip up and down accordingly, to show the character's weight. Using the motion trail as a guide, I ensured that the movement of the hips is smooth and realistic. Afterwards I went frame by frame to check for errors such as the feet passing through the ground and corrected them.

Then, I moved on to the front view to adjust the translation of the hip sideways, as well as the rotation of the hips. Switching between the front and perspective view, I also rotated the shoulders to make my animation more realistic. 

I switched back to side view to move the arms accordingly. I went back to following the reference for this. I decided to exaggerate the arm movement as I wanted my character to be more cartoony.

I played around with the graph editor to adjust the curves, especially the hip's translation.

Lastly, I added more details by playing with the ball roll when the foot lifts off the ground, as well as when it lands. This made my animation a lot more realistic as it showcases the flexibility of the foot. I also rotated the wrist to show overlapping movement and to make it look less rigid.


Final videos:

Front:

Side:

Perspective:


Reflection:

This project gave me an insight into the basics of animation. I think the walk cycle is the first step to 3D animation, like how a bouncing ball animation is the first step to 2D animation. I also learnt that sometimes, animation requires trial and error. I played around with translations and rotations of the hips and shoulders to see the different results they will give. Observation is also very important, when in doubt, I asked my friend to walk around while I observe his movements. Overall, I am quite satisfied with my work. :)

References:




This video is very useful as it shows us not only the side view, but also the front view, which shows us the rotation and translation of the hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment